Does your windshield need to be replaced? Have you noticed any cracks that have formed on your windshield? If you do need to get a windshield replacement, you may need a guide on how to replace it yourself. This post can teach you how to easily replace your windshield. If you do not know where to start on replacing your windshield, read this guide below in order to get started.
- Remove the rubber grips and moulding around your old windshield. You can use a small knife or utility tool to remove these fasteners, you should be careful when you remove them so that you do not damage them.
- You should then try and be ready to pry out your old windshield. You should take care and be careful in this step since one wrong move could do damage to your vehicle. Take a look to see which is the best side and angle to remove the windshield from.
- Next, you will want to remove the urethane. The urethane is a strong adhesive that is used to stick your windshield onto your car. Using your knife or a windshield removal tool, you can cut the urethane from your old windshield.
- Finally, when you have removed the old windshield, with another person, you should try and lift out your old windshield. You should ideally have two people doing this job because it takes people on both sides of the car to safely lift out the old windshield.
- You should then prepare your car to have a new windshield installed. First, you will want to trim out any rust or dried out urethane from the car itself. Scrape off these dried out spots in order to make sure that your new windshield is installed smoothly.
- Next, you can apply the urethane primer onto your car. Spread out the primer evenly and make sure to coat the spot where you want the new windshield to be attached. This primer will ensure a good adhesive stick when you put on the urethane.
- Using a caulking gun, you can then apply the new urethane. Make sure that the spots where you apply the urethane are clean and smooth.
- You can then now put in your new windshield. You should do this slowly in order to make sure that the alignment is good. Do not touch the edges of the windshield, because dirt from your hands could contaminate the adhesive.
- Typically, you should wait at least 24 hours for the urethane to dry. After that 24 hours is over, you can then now drive your car with your new windshield.
If you follow these steps, you will be able to replace your windshield in no time. It can be a difficult task to replace your windshield, but if you do it yourself, you can save on labour costs, because you do no have to pay anyone to replace your windshield.
Replacing your windshield is pretty easy too! You can just follow these simple steps in order to install a brand new windshield on your vehicle.